Trilobiten.de Foren-Übersicht Trilobiten.de
The open forum system about Trilobites.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SuchenSuchen   MitgliederlisteMitgliederliste   BenutzergruppenBenutzergruppen   RegistrierenRegistrieren 
 ProfilProfil   Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesenEinloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen   LoginLogin 

Names can be a special gift

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen    Trilobiten.de Foren-Übersicht -> Trilobite - Literature
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen :: Nächstes Thema anzeigen  
Autor Nachricht
Jens
Gast

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Aug 16, 2005 5:21 pm    Titel: Names can be a special gift Antworten mit Zitat

I think it was a nice gift for long years of researching. I find it in:

The Geological Society of America, Newsletter:

New Trilobite Genus Named for Skehan

Jim Skehan, S.J., <skehan@bc.edu>, Weston Observatory, Department of Geology and Geophysics, Boston College, was honored by Prof. Mark A.S. McMenamin, paleontologist, Mount Holyoke College, whose research is the basis for establishing the new trilobite genus Skehanos, named for Dr. Skehan "to honor his contributions to New England geology." The ca 500 million year old Middle Cambrian arthropod is the first new trilobite genus from Massachusetts to be named since the 1880’s and was found in Hayward’s Quarry at the site of the Fore River Shipyard. The published basis for the new genus Skehanos was in Northeastern Geology and Environmental Sciences, 24(4), 276-281, Dec 2002. Much of Jim’s published research over the past 40 years has been concerned with the Avalonian terrane of eastern North America for which Paradoxides and Skehanos are now diagnostic.
Jim’s reaction: "I cannot imagine a more significant gift and accolade than having the Avalonian trilobite genus named for me by a fellow geologist who has established that Skehanos may have evolutionary linkages to even older (Precambrian) ancestral Australian species as well as possibly also to younger Ordovician species. Moreover, Skehanos and other related
trilobites may serve as a key to possible discovery of additional Avalonian terranes in various parts of the world, as it has done for the Carolina terrane near Batesburg, South Carolina where Skehanos and Braintrella are found."

Congratulations, Jim!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

me too,

Jens
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen    Trilobiten.de Foren-Übersicht -> Trilobite - Literature Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Seite 1 von 1

Gehe zu:  
Du kannst keine Beiträge in dieses Forum schreiben.
Du kannst auf Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht antworten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht bearbeiten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht löschen.
Du kannst an Umfragen in diesem Forum nicht mitmachen.